The SEC Should Settle its Cases Against Coinbase and Ripple Labs, Says Expert
- The SEC should settle its cases against Coinbase and Ripple Labs following Judge Analisa Torres’ decision in SEC v. Ripple.
- The SEC’s attack on crypto has used a flexible legal definition of what constitutes a security, which has made it difficult for legitimate crypto projects to register.
- Torres ruled that sales of the XRP token were not necessarily linked to Ripple’s entrepreneurial efforts, challenging the SEC’s case against Coinbase.
- The SEC will face challenges from the Supreme Court and the evolving major questions doctrine, which could curtail its war on crypto.
- The SEC should settle and work with crypto lawyers to develop a workable crypto asset listing and disclosure regime.
The SEC’s relentless pursuit of crypto projects has reached a tipping point. Judge Torres’ ruling in favor of Ripple has exposed the weaknesses in the SEC’s case, making it clear that it’s time for the SEC to settle its cases against Coinbase and Ripple Labs. The SEC’s approach to crypto regulation needs a major overhaul, and working with crypto lawyers to develop a more adaptable regulatory regime is the way forward. It’s time for the SEC to stop playing chicken and start protecting crypto asset buyers.